Thursday, January 20, 2011

Contacts

I took Dyl to the pediatric opthamologist on Monday and was thrilled to learn the health of her eyes is great. The doctor said that her vision in one eye was 20/30 and 20/50 in the other eye which is no surprise since I'm as blind as a bat. He said that even though the difference wasn't major without corrective intervention one eye (the stronger eye) could become the dominant eye making the other one lazy and allowing the vision to get worse. When I asked about the lazy eye he said it wasn't something that would be visible to me ( I was worried she'd be cock-eyed or something) and that she didn't need a patch or anything. It was his recommendation that I consider getting glasses for her but if I didn't that was fine too. He said that I could come back in 6 months for another appt to see if the vision had changed but I assured him that I would get the glasses now. He said that since she was so young it is entirely possible that the other eye can get stronger and they will balance out meaning she won't have to wear glasses forever.

When we left Dyl told me that she wanted contracts so that she could wear sunglasses. I told her that was a no go but I'd find her some hot Prada frames (half way joking) so we are off to look at glasses for her this weekend.

Last Friday I turned 30 which was bittersweet. I had this whole list of things to check off by the time I turned 30 and I have fallen short. I'm going to use that to motivate myself to do more. But I realize that being a mom (which wasn't on my list) is the most important, frustrating, but ultimately rewarding thing I've ever done.

I also got flowers, cupcakes and a little blue box with the Garden Dragonfly Pendant that I've been eyeing forever. Its weird that the person who lavishes the most gifts on me is Dyl's dad and we are no longer together. Its hard to love someone so much but to know that you are not good for each other. And every time I feel like I've flushed him from my system he pops up again. We are in a perpetual one step forward, two steps back pattern. We met in 2001 and have been in this pattern for that many years. It seems like we've both dated other people but always end up back together but when we reconnect we never address why we parted ways before. Our problems are the elephant in the room that never get discussed. I always think that as we grow older things will be different but its always more of the same. When its good, its great, amazing even. When its bad, its awful.

Having been alone for the better part of a year, its nice to know that he still thinks of me though. I'm off to search for Prada toddler frames.

3 comments:

  1. ooh, you have the tiffany dragonfly pendant? me too! that was my "push present" by which to remember logan. he was my little dragonfly. :-)

    excellent news about the glasses, though. i would do the same thing; better to intervene and correct it early than to deal with problems later on, especially since you're "blind as a bat."

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol @ Dyl and her Prada frames (I can't wait to see pics)

    Please tell me the flowers and not the pendant was from your parents and not Dylan's dad.

    And, cupcakes might be the best treat ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I misspoke. Mine is the Tiffany nature pendant. I liked the other one as well but the giver of said gift thought that was a little mroe than they wanted to spend. I was told that I will have to purchase my pwn $3,000 necklace :) I'm still happy with the one I have.

    Ms. Durham- the necklace was from Dylan, at least that's what the card said. She's pretty well off for a 3 year old

    ReplyDelete